Fine Art/old painting

Question
old painting with cracks and brown spots
old painting with crac  
   I was at Goodwill and saw this painting and bought it.  At first I thought it was an art print.  Then I saw that it was very old with cracking and foxgloving (brown spots), it is either dried up oil or cracked up pastel.  It is an old painting thrown in a newer frame.  It is an original but I thought it couldn't be real.  Yet it is finely done.  I thought it might be a copy of a famous painting by Monet but wouldn't they add their own signature instead of copying his?  Have you seen this painting before and were there lots of copies made or can it possibly be an original?  Is it worth anything so my wife won't hit me when I tell her I spent $16 on it?

Answer
Dear Don,

I have looked in my books and online for this image; but I cannot locate it. Since it is behind glass I assume it is on paper? It might be an old print after a painting and I just cannot locate it. It may also be an original watercolor with pastel. I found that he did occasionally use that medium.
I suggest you take it to a local art dealer or museum and have them take a look at it and tell you what the medium is. This is important before you go further.
The great news is that even if it is a vintage print; it is still very beautiful and professionally framed. Your $16 was a great bargain for this piece.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley