Fine Art/type of picture i have

hi a very simple question i have very limited knowledge re types of art methods used i have been given a large picture ls lowry 1930 the procession however it is not print but on a hardback type of hardboard with oil effect painting u can see small squares like a whole grid covering the the picture is this oil on board how would i describe this rgrds allison

Dear Allison,

Certainly your version of Lowry's 'The Procession' is not the original as the media used to execute this particular work were oil on canvas. For the version that you have you could describe the media as oil on board. Be sure to include clearly that it is a reproduction though.

Best wishes,

Samantha Hughes-Johnson

I am an art historian and my speciality is Renaissance Florence, although I have an excellent knowledge of the Renaissance in Europe too. I can answer your questions regarding visual and textual primary sources produced during this period although I DO NOT APPRAISE PAINTINGS OR ANTIQUES.

I have experience in independent research and have produced several, as yet unpublished works. My research has taken me to London, Paris, Florence, Rome, Prague, Milan etc.

I belong to the Association of Art Historians.

I have a first-class honours degree in the humanities with art history, a postgraduate certificate in research methodology and I am currently researching towards my PhD.