Fine Art/1897 Westminster Kennel Show Catalog Cover Painting

Original cover painting:1897  Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show
Original cover paintin  
Hello, I own the original 1897 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show catalog cover painting. If I remember correctly, the show has been held at Madison Square Garden every year since 1877.  I have found this same image used in books and on many websites. The painting includes numerous instructions that the artist gave to the engraver.  The problem is that I can not find the artist signature.  Two years ago I sent a number of emails to the Westminster Kennel Club, but unfortunately they never sent back a reply.  Thank you for your time.  

Could have been almost any commercial artist who was commissioned to this work.  You might try contacting Alan Fausel at Doyle's in NYC.  Doyle's has held auctions of canine art, so perhaps he could link you up with someone at the intersection of dog shows and commercial art in the 1890's.  

Best of luck.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration