Fine Art/Identify name and artist of a certain painting

I saw a painting a long time ago in a textbook about art-history. I would like to use that painting for a school-project, but i do not remember the name of the painter or the title of the painting. I hope that you can identify the painting if i describe it for you:

I think the painting is from the renaissance europe. The painting is showing a medieval munk sitting inside a monastery and thinking and writing about life while reading in old books. Outside the window actual life is taking place but the munk is not noticing this. He is only interested in reading about life from the old books.
I guess its a criticism of the medieval non-experimental text-book-based search for knowledge by way of reading books from the classic antiquity.

The munk is in the foreground, and outside-life is in the background of the picture(outside the window).

Hope you know which one i am talking about!  

Dear Rasmus,

The painting you describe sounds very much like Antonello da Messina's 'Saint Jerome in his Study'.

Let me know if this is correct. If not I'll delve deeper and perhaps give you some other suggestions.

If it does happen to be the correct painting please let me know and perhaps I can pass on some information which will be useful for your school project. I happen to be very familiar with the particular work that I mentioned as I wrote my undergraduate thesis on it.

Best wishes,

Samantha Hughes-Johnson

I am an art historian and my speciality is Renaissance Florence, although I have an excellent knowledge of the Renaissance in Europe too. I can answer your questions regarding visual and textual primary sources produced during this period although I DO NOT APPRAISE PAINTINGS OR ANTIQUES.

I have experience in independent research and have produced several, as yet unpublished works. My research has taken me to London, Paris, Florence, Rome, Prague, Milan etc.

I belong to the Association of Art Historians.

I have a first-class honours degree in the humanities with art history, a postgraduate certificate in research methodology and I am currently researching towards my PhD.