Fine Art/Jas F. Murrary sketch

University of Pennsylvania sketch by Murray
University of Pennsylv  
I have an original sketch titled University of Pennsylvania Philadelphia, PA signed by Jas F. Murrary.  Could you please give me a little information on this artist and other works he has completed.  I am including a picture.  Thank you.

James Francis Murray (1899-1990)was primarily a New England based artist (born in Lawrence, MA) who completed many sketches of New England themes.  Cape Cod pictures, New England villages, dock scenes, many church steeples...and many buildings of historical importance.  Such as the one you own.

His popular scenes were reproduced widely, so it is likely you have a print reproduction of an original work.  This is possibly a commission that the University marketed through their bookstore?  His lithographs were distributed widely, and his sketches appeared in many calendars and gift shops.

Either way, it is a handsome sketch of a great school.  An original might be worth about $200-$400 depending upon size and condition. At least now you know the artist!  Enjoy it.

Interestingly, today marks his birthday.  September 28, 1899.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration