Fine Art/Lautrec

Hi about twenty years ago I found 4 posters by lautrec and it never entered my mind they would be lithographs so I hung them in my hair salon and I had a fairly well known artist as a client who could not stop looking at them and she told me I should have them looked at and that they really looked like lithographs very old ones. So my husband took one to Christies in NY and they kept my husband there for over an hour looking at them and calling their superiors and such and in the end they said they did not think they were but it was so strange that they had to call several higher ups to keep looking at them. So since I have been trying to figure out how to tell between a print and a lithograph and all I come up with is that if its a print under a microscope they will have a dot matrix or pattern look to them and mine do not have that. What do you suggest I do to get a more definitive answer?

Dear Denise,

There were later printings of Toulouse Lautrec posters so you may have copies of those. Yours are lithographs and the problem the people at Christies were having was trying to determine if they were the original printings or later.

Try taking them to a local museum to the paper and prints specialist for an opinion. If you are near NY, there are several other auction houses that I would take them to for review such as Sothebys and Swann Galleries.

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.