Fine Art/Uknown Artist on canvas

Oil painting
Oil painting  
Dear Samantha:

A few years ago we purchased an oil painting at a
garage sale. We recently took it to a reputable shop to have it cleaned and restored.
  The patron said that it was an eighteenth century painting but it was obviously unsigned but was of some quality. They estimated the value at some $5000 dollars.
  Although it is unsigned I would like to identify the painting and/or the artist if possible.
  Iíve attached a reasonable good likeness with good resolution for your perusal.  Any information you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Yours respectfully,  

Dear Garth,

I'm not an expert in 18th century American landscape painters although I am familiar enough with them to know that there were quite a number of them so I couldn't hazard a guess as to who produced your painting.

What I can say with certainty tough is that if you perhaps contact an expert in this field from your local museum/art gallery/university then they will perhaps be able to shed some light on your problem as regards attribution.

Best wishes,

Samantha Hughes-Johnson

I am an art historian and my speciality is Renaissance Florence, although I have an excellent knowledge of the Renaissance in Europe too. I can answer your questions regarding visual and textual primary sources produced during this period although I DO NOT APPRAISE PAINTINGS OR ANTIQUES.

I have experience in independent research and have produced several, as yet unpublished works. My research has taken me to London, Paris, Florence, Rome, Prague, Milan etc.

I belong to the Association of Art Historians.

I have a first-class honours degree in the humanities with art history, a postgraduate certificate in research methodology and I am currently researching towards my PhD.