Fine Art/late 19th century engravings of fine art

Question
Ferd Willaert reproduction
Ferd Willaert reproduc  
Dear Mr. Tyman:

I know this isn't an area in which you purport to be an expert but I read some of your answers and feel you probably have the best handle on these prints. I recently  acquired about 30 engravings of which about 10 appear to be one color engravings of original paintings.  They are all on hand made paper and show the press marks...but they're not all printed on the same handmade paper or the same weight of paper or using the same method (at least one is  a sepia and another appears to be a mezzotint)).  Some are signed-in-plate by various artists such as Ferd Willaert, Julien Dupre, Fritz Thaulow, Ignazio Zuloaga, Walter Macewen and others.  I think one is a Monet however the signature isn't easy to read.  All of them appear to be direct reductions of original paintings but done prior to 1900, (the Dupre is dated 1899 another is dated 1898). I've included an image of the Ferdinand Willaert. The overall print size is only 12 1/2" x 8 1/2".  All of the prints were not well taken care of and show a lot of foxing and staining. I haven't been able to locate any information on these single color reproductions of oil paintings; why they exist and for what purpose.  They couldn't have been cheap to produce yet different from other art-book prints I've collected from the period these don't have any publisher's imprints or apparent glue strips to affix them into a book.  Any information would be appreciated.

Al

Answer
I see quite a few old engravings on the market for low end prices.
It was common in the 19th Century and 1st half of the 20th Century for decorative art publishers to have artisans create engravings and etchings of well known artists works. Referred to as "art for the common man" the low end engravings are still affordable to this day, selling for low hundreds of dollars (signed prints) and unsigned prints selling for very low amounts.  I have not examined your art so I cannot say for sure what you have, but if they are engravings that are not signed and there is no copywrite, it will be difficult to obtain detailed info without doing some serious research. If you keep asking, an art expert out there will eventually say they have seen them before, I happend to specialize in Salvador Dali, so your prints are not very familiar to me. I suggest finding dealers that sell old engravings and having them examine your prints.

Dan

Dan Twyman