Fine Art/3 horse heads

Question
I Have a Black and White Print of 3 Horse Heads (Size 20.5 X 20.5)Plain antique Frame with large Circle Matting (Matting is a Faded looking Peachy Mauve Color.) I Bought it at a Estate Sale of a 150 year old farm. Oh and the backing of the frame is 2 wide slats of old wood. I'm really sure it is Old, But there is no signature although I know that John Herring was the oringinal artist of the painting. Did he do any black and white prints of the 3 horse heads? and is it worth anything? I have it on E-Bay right now, and the questions some of the people are asking me made me think I should find out more about it. Thanks for Your Time

Answer
Dear Gloria,

Without a photo, I am going to assume you mean John Frederick Herring Sr.’s painting "Three Members of the Temperance Society". It has three horses at a water trough. The original is an oil painting. An artist by the name of Alexander Hay Ritchie (1822-1895), engraved the image after Herring’s painting. Your print size sounds about right. The plate area measures 17.5 x 25.5 inches. Approximate sheet size is 20.5 x 29 inches. As with all antique prints, condition is everything. You need to remove it immediately from its current framing. The wood backing causes deep toning and the paper becomes brittle. It needs to be reframed in acid free material. I found one with deep toning with an auction estimate of $150-300. It sold for $110. I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly  

Dolly D Headley