Fine Art/Madonna and Child Painting

Question
Madonna and Child
Madonna and Child  
Hello, I am researching a painting that a friend of mine is considering selling. I have not viewed the painting physically so the only information I have is what my friend sent in an email. It's  painted on a peice of 2x4 but evidently it's a bit thicker than modern 2x4 and it is said to be gopher wood and how that was concluded I have no idea. Any help in identifying this painting would be greatly appreciated.  Sincerely, Rebecca

Answer
Dear Rebecca,

As neither of us can be physically near to the painting this causes difficulties with dating and attribution. I would ask that you suggest to your friend, that she takes the artwork to a reputable auction house in her vicinity and requests some free advice. Alternatively a state art museum could also be of some use as they sometimes examine objects belonging to the public.

As far as the wood is concerned, I don't know how much you know about gopher wood but it is mentioned in the bible as the wood that Noah used to construct the ark. In modern terms though we cannot be sure exactly which wood it is so it could be anything from pine to cedar.

Best wishes,

Samantha

Samantha Hughes-Johnson