Fine Art/Picasso La Ronde Lithograph

Question
QUESTION: I recently aquired from an auction a framed litho? of Picasso's La Ronde. How do I tell a lithograph from a print? It appears to be on high quality paper and I can see and feel the paint as it is slightly raised from the paper. Any suggestions would be appriciated. Sincerly, Christa

ANSWER: A lithograph is a print. There are different grades of lithographs, offset litho, original litho, mixed media that includes some lithography etc.

The issue is, do you have an authentic Picasso? I see quite a few fakes online and at estate auctions. How much you paid for it is a clue, if it was real cheap, that is not a good sign.

It takes some doing to authenticate and appraise a Picasso.

Also, you did not mention how it is signed.  I only deal in hand signed works.

Dan

QUESTION: Hello Dan,
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. The print is plate signed. What led me to think that it might be an original was the way that it was framed. The label on the back was from an "H.S Los Angeles" for a Rousso and Wigren Assoc.The label appears to be from the 1960's and the print is numbered 478.
    I understand that you only deal in hand signed works, I appreciate you responding.
    I work for an auction company in Utah and did get this for pretty cheap, I know it's a long shot. Thanks, Christa

Answer
Some of the plate signed works do have good value, they are not in the high end like the pencil signed works on paper, but I have seen Renoir works as an example that were referred to as "signed in the stone" sell for quite a bit of $$. With the plate signed works, the older they get, the better the value. It might seem that this rule applies to everything in the art world, but it does not. A poster as an example, becomes a throw away at some point, while works on good quality paper that are over 100 years old (plate signed) can become valuable. The tough part of this whole process is finding the book reference for your print. Picasso produced many thousands of limited edition works. I do have a number of reference books for prints, but yours being in there is a long shot. Research will answer more questions for you.

Dan

Dan Twyman