Fine Art/Picasso Peirrot

My mother has a signed painting of Picasso's Peirrot.  I have always been curious about it's value.  She found the painting in an old home they purchased about 45 years ago.  The painting has always hung in an out of the way place because when I was young my sisters and I thought the sad clown was scary.  Are all prints/reproductions created equal or could this painting be worth something?  I very much appreciate your reply and site.  Shari

Dear Shari,

To answer your question; not all prints/reproductions are of equal value. Prints by Picasso named Pierrot was released as a lithograph, serigraph,and more recent as offset lithographs. The value changes from $20 to thousands depending on the type of print, the edition size, and if it is hand signed; among other factors. I cannot tell you what you have without seeing it in person. If it is signed in the plate and does not have edition numbers on the bottom of the print, it is likely a reproduction. You may want to take it to a local dealer for an opinion. I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.