Fine Art/Renaissance Dress Attire

Renaissance Painting ?
Renaissance Painting ?  
The closest I have been able to find regarding the clothing in this painting is from the Renaissance 1500's era. Could you please confirm if this is correct and the possible date range and location where this would have been painted. In my research I found that this style of frame is close to an oil gilled tulle net which was popular in the 2nd quarter (1826 - 1850). I am not sure if this was painted in the Renaissance time period or later say 1800's. According to the auction descripition the artist name is Raymond. I have not yet received the painting but can follow up with a better description and pictures and another artist name if the auction company happen to misread it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you... Dave

Dear Dave,

With regard to the clothing (what I can see of it) I would say that the person depicted is meant to be a northern European gentleman from the 16th century. The red cloth and the fur collar that he wears would suggest that he was quite wealthy.

I can't however comment on the value, dating or attribution of the painting as I am an art historian rather than an art appraiser, which is something else entirely.

Best wishes,

Samantha Hughes-Johnson

I am an art historian and my speciality is Renaissance Florence, although I have an excellent knowledge of the Renaissance in Europe too. I can answer your questions regarding visual and textual primary sources produced during this period although I DO NOT APPRAISE PAINTINGS OR ANTIQUES.

I have experience in independent research and have produced several, as yet unpublished works. My research has taken me to London, Paris, Florence, Rome, Prague, Milan etc.

I belong to the Association of Art Historians.

I have a first-class honours degree in the humanities with art history, a postgraduate certificate in research methodology and I am currently researching towards my PhD.