Fine Art/archibald thorburn

i have just bought an oil painting by archibald thorburn at a carboot sale i took it to a art/gall they offered me 1000 for it on the back the label reads( milld boards for oil painting by geo,rowney & co london can you tell me the value of this painting or any history on it

Dear Ian,

Archibald Thorburn was a Scottish painter and bird illustrator who primarily painted watercolor paintings. His work is highly sought after and this desirability is reflected in the prices his work brings at auction. From your description, it sounds as though you have one of his rare oil paintings. Recent auction prices on his oil paintings range from $31,000 (USD, for the smaller sizes and over $100,000 USD for the larger works. As I mentioned, his bird paintings are highly prized so if you are looking to sell the painting, you may want to have it appraised for auction value by the major houses such as Christies and Sothebys who both have carried his work in the past.
Nice find!

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.