Fine Art/archibald thorburn

Question
?
?  
i have just bought an oil painting by archibald thorburn at a carboot sale i took it to a art/gall they offered me 1000 for it on the back the label reads( milld boards for oil painting by geo,rowney & co london can you tell me the value of this painting or any history on it

Answer
Dear Ian,

Archibald Thorburn was a Scottish painter and bird illustrator who primarily painted watercolor paintings. His work is highly sought after and this desirability is reflected in the prices his work brings at auction. From your description, it sounds as though you have one of his rare oil paintings. Recent auction prices on his oil paintings range from $31,000 (USD, for the smaller sizes and over $100,000 USD for the larger works. As I mentioned, his bird paintings are highly prized so if you are looking to sell the painting, you may want to have it appraised for auction value by the major houses such as Christies and Sothebys who both have carried his work in the past.
Nice find!

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley