Fine Art/difference between print and ?

i purchased a picture from a thrift store and know nothing what so ever about art work. it says Robert Scott in the bottom right corner, and its on canvas stapled to a wood frame,inside another frame. my question is how would i know if this is a copy, print, painting or ?

Hi Diane,

You should know the artwork is a painting from the brush strokes. If you can see the canvas from the back, light should shine through it as well. The question around it being  a copy is difficult to answer. Are you asking if someone fraudulently repainted a original and signed the artists name, or are you asking if the artwork is a authentic and authorized reproduction of a original. The media in which the artwork was painted should give you the biggest clue. Is is paper, wood or canvas? Then I would suggest going to your local library and researching if there is a listed artist by the name of Robert Scott. Another good resource is or You can enter the artists name and see if they have him included in their database. Once you have identified the artist you can then study examples of his work to see if the painting you have aligns with his style and feel. Lastly, you can also do a search on the internet for galleries that may have a artist named Robert Scott and ask them further questions around the artist.

These all are good places to start. If you run into a dead end, feel free to contact me or a professional to see if they might assist you from there.

Qeturah Rasyth

I can provide expertise around 19th Century American Fine Art and 19th Century African American Fine art. In particular, Hudson River School artists, Robert Scott Duncanson, Alexander Wyant, Maurice B Prendergast, Frank Russell Green, etc.

I consult, collect and sell rare, unique and hard to find 19th century African American and American master artwork. I have been a avid collector with my husband collectively for over 20 years now. I have a successful private practice where my clients specifically come to me to advise them on rare artwork that is beautiful, yet worthy investments. I feel I have become a subject expert on the artwork I focus on.

I belong to Black Art in America. I have been featured on their website. I belong to Jack and Jill of America

My writing has been featured on Black Art in American Dec 2010. I have three blogs: Private Collectors of Decorative Arts, Hudson River School Collectors, African American Art Collectors.

I am a former graduate from Univerisity of Washington in Seattle, Washington. I studied sociology and psychology.