Fine Art/oil painting

Question
oil painting
oil painting  
I have an oil painting, pre 1930, no visible signature.
Am thinking of getting it appraised before I take it somewhere to get it restored.
Is that what you would suggest?
I have attached an image of the painting.
Thank you.

Answer
In order to better answer this, I would need to know what you are ultimately trying to do with the artwork. If the artwork is enjoyable for you to look at a and adorn on your walls, then what is the point in spending money on restoration. Also, when you restore fine art, it is important to go to a reputable restorer. This could cost you anywhere from $100 and beyond depending on the artwork and the damage. Sometimes the cost is more than the artwork is worth.

If you are looking to sell the artwork to make money off of it, and appraiser still may not be helpful. An appraisal is a opinion and will not guarantee the artwork will sell for the amount they appraise it at. You may be better off researching similar artwork on the internet or contacting galleries to ask what they might pay you for the artwork if you were to sell it to get a better idea of it's worth.

From the looks of the artwork, I cannot detect any holes or tears. It appears it may need a light cleaning which is not very expensive. Most art restorers can handle this for you relatively quickly and relatively inexpensive.

Qeturah Rasyth