Fine Art/Catalda Fine Arts

Question
Hello, I was just reading a correspondence that you had with someone about a painting they owned that had a tag from the Catalda Fine Arts Company on it. I inferred from the correspondence that it really wasn't worth much but I was wondering whether you would mind expanding on that premise a little bit? I have one of these paintings and am curious about it's value. I'm sure you can't tell me exactly what it's worth but I was hoping for a rough estimate from you. Is the frame worth more than the painting to an artist who might want to use it for one of their own paintings or is there a market for these items and is that market a flea market? Any information you could give me would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Answer
Christopher,
One never knows.  Get your painting to a local dealer.
You might have an ignored original artwork from which
Catalda made reproductions.  But, I would say this is
a longshot at best. And, if so, an even longer shot that
you painting is by a valued artist. As you already know,
a little searching on the web will bring you to
Willard Johnson III in Oklahoma City who is with
Colonial Art Company, acquirer of all Catalda assets in 1983.

I called Willard a few years ago, and he does have access
to inventory lists, so you could work with him if you have
catalog #s.  Finding anything that way would be a very long
shot, but might make an interesting History Detectives episode.

And Chris, there is always eBay....  

Stuart Cartwright