Fine Art/artist signature

sylvia wrote at 2012-06-10 14:31:37
As for the Brooklyn Bridge painting signed by "Duchamp", I would like to add that I have bought a painting in France at an auction, representing the Brooklyn Bridge. It is a beautiful and old painting signed "Duchamp", with the same signature as showed above, except that there is no initial before "Duchamp". This painting belonged to a hotel, in the region of Loire castles. It's rather strange that a painter, who seemed to travel in France and in New York, and who painted so well, took fun in signing "Duchamp" instead of becoming famous with his own name.

Maxime Desormeaux wrote at 2012-12-13 05:08:01
I also have a painting that look like that, with the same line pattern... It's a paris tower scenery and signed Duchamp. But the signature have something different, I would like to send you a picture. I buy it in Quebec, Canada.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration