Fine Art/Maurice Utrillo Lithograph with Photo

[Dan, including the photo this time!]

I purchased this lithograph at an estate sale, it was sold as an original lithograph published by Utrillo and not a museum print or the like.  After I purchased it I found the same lithograph was sold by MOMA, a museum print.  The name of the piece is Rue De Crimee and it is plate signed in the lower left.  

What I would like to know is how I can find out if Utrillo ever printed a lithograph of this piece.  I want to have it appraised which would require removing it from the frame, but before I do I would like to find out if there is a possibility it is an original.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

When comparing investment grade art to decorative art, we look at these differences.
1. Limited edition prints usually have a pencil signature and pencil edition number.
2. Limited edition prints might show an impression around the edge of the image that is a result from the pressure of the printing press, while low end decorative art is usually flat. Some original lithographs are also flat, so we cannot rule out that possibility.
3. Decorative art many times has a very small printed copywrite somewhere on the edge of the papers border, while limited edition art many times has a blind stamp or some sort of emblem or marking from the publisher.
**You can use google search to find quite a few limited edition works or open edition works and track down the original publisher and ask questions.
4. When art is limited edition and has good value, there is almost always a write up somewhere online that leads to dealers who sell the works, while open edition prints are not advertised in the same way as the sellers must sell volume and they target a different market than high end galleries and brokers.

I have seen thousands of submissions for Utrillo prints..yes thousands. They tend to be old decorative prints with low value. The only way to help you is to examine your print. You can email images if the above info is not enough to help you make a decision. My email address is:

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.