Fine Art/Raoul Dufy

Raoul Dufy
Raoul Dufy  
I have recently acquired a piece signed "Raoul Dufy".  I am a fan of Picasso's works, so I was attracted to it immediately not knowing who he was. The piece can only be described as jockeys on horses near a racetrack with structures in the background.  
Because the piece is in a custom frame, I am afraid of opening it.  The piece appears to be watercolor and gouache as there is a combination of transparency and with a slight outline to it as if to magnify certain aspects of the scene.

My question is, I noticed microprint "o", "6", and "o" on the piece and wondered if this was some type of security feature to avoid reproduction or theft?  I'm curious as there is nothing else to authenticate the piece and it does not contain a date, print numbers or anything visible.

I really appreciate your assistance...

What you have is a copyright symbol on the piece with the image number. It is a print. In order to get a better idea of what you have, I would take it to a local auction to have them evaluate it for you. I am limited because I am looking at a picture.

Joseph B. Laskowski

I have been researching,buying, collecting, dealing, and appraising 19th and 20th Century American Art (1850-1950) for the past 15 years. Ask me anything about this topic. I am a member of the Pennsylvania Antiques Appraisers Association.

Experienced in American Art from the period 1850-1950. This Includes Impressionism, Regionalism, Early American Modernism, Hudson River School, WPA. I have 15 years researching, collecting, dealing, and appraising in this field. Ran a Fine Art gallery for 3 years in Phoenixville, Pa. that focused on American and European art from the 1800's to contemporary works. Rare books focused on fine art monographs and catalogue raisonne.

Pennsylvania Antique Appraisers Association
American Society of Appraisers (Candidate)

Brimfield Rush, a book written by Bob Wyss of the University of Connecticut. It details the escapades, trials and travails of myself, my ex, and other individuals who have been to Brimfield , Mass. to tame the largest flea market in North America. Maybe even the world.

American Society of Appraisers
BA from Lenoir-Rhyne University in North Carolina
Appraisal Studies at George Washington University