Fine Art/Artist & Painting information

Question
M. BERY 093.jpg
M. BERY 093.jpg  
I have a painting on canvas signed by M. Bery, with a notice on the back which reserves reproduction by Catalda Fine Arts, Inc., N.Y.   A typed description on the back of the frame indicates that M. Bery was born in the South of France about 1895, later held the position of Professor of Art at the Academy of Fine arts in Venice, then later was an instructor at Amherst College in Massachusetts.  The typed data also indicates that M. Bery exhibited his work in Europe and New York.

The painting is a scene of an outdoor cafe;  It is signed M. Bery, Paris.  Photo attached.

Any information you can offer regarding this artist and painting will be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Duane

Answer
Dear Duane,

I checked my artist listing resources; both online and in my library; and there is not a listed artist by that name. It may be that Catalda hired the artist to paint for the company and he/she never really did much else. Artists keep the copyright on their own paintings unless they are painting under contract for someone else. The information says right to reproduction were held by Catalda. That means the artist was contracted by them. You have more information on the artist than can be found on the internet. Since there are no previous auction results for the artist, value would be determined by how much a person would be willing to pay for the painting. I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley