Fine Art/Artist & Painting information

M. BERY 093.jpg
M. BERY 093.jpg  
I have a painting on canvas signed by M. Bery, with a notice on the back which reserves reproduction by Catalda Fine Arts, Inc., N.Y.   A typed description on the back of the frame indicates that M. Bery was born in the South of France about 1895, later held the position of Professor of Art at the Academy of Fine arts in Venice, then later was an instructor at Amherst College in Massachusetts.  The typed data also indicates that M. Bery exhibited his work in Europe and New York.

The painting is a scene of an outdoor cafe;  It is signed M. Bery, Paris.  Photo attached.

Any information you can offer regarding this artist and painting will be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Dear Duane,

I checked my artist listing resources; both online and in my library; and there is not a listed artist by that name. It may be that Catalda hired the artist to paint for the company and he/she never really did much else. Artists keep the copyright on their own paintings unless they are painting under contract for someone else. The information says right to reproduction were held by Catalda. That means the artist was contracted by them. You have more information on the artist than can be found on the internet. Since there are no previous auction results for the artist, value would be determined by how much a person would be willing to pay for the painting. I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.