Fine Art/GROSSI - Landscape

Question
Grossi
Grossi  
Some years back, my parents gave me an old oil painting (on canvas) signed on the lower left side by artist as "GROSSI".  There are two labels on the back.  One label is shows this came from studio, Catalda Fine Arts, Inc New York ,New York. and the other label displays, Title: 21657 LANDSCAPE, Artist: Grossi, Order No. R164. Wanted to know if you have any information about this painting or artist and if its worth anything?

Answer
Dear Jami,

I hope you are doing well. Catalda Fine Arts released open edition copies of paintings; often on heavy cardboard with brush strokes to make the print look more realistic and to protect the paper. I checked for artists with the last name Grossi and there are over a dozen listed and could not locate one with the style of the painting and signature of your painting. It is difficult to tell by the photo if you have a print on cardboard or an original oil painting. It is a nice painting so if it is an original, it would have value even if the artist is not identified. The best way to tell what you have is to take it by a local art dealer or museum and ask them to take a look at it for you. It needs personal inspection. If you have a jewelers loupe or other high magnification, you can view the painting in an area where the color changes from dark to light. If you see any type of pattern, you have a print. I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly  

Dolly D Headley