Fine Art/Painting

I purchased a painting at a yard sale.  The label is from Catalda Fine Arts, Inc. New York, NY.  Title: Field of Flowers  Artist Van Gogh  Frame No. SB (and what looks like it could have been) 238?  Can you tell me if there is any value to this painting?

Dear Bambi,

I hope you are doing well. Catalda Fine Arts released open edition copies of paintings; often on heavy cardboard with brush strokes to make the print look more realistic and to protect the paper. You have a copy after one of Van Gogh's paintings and thus it is considered decorative art. The value of decorative art is often based the quality of the copy, the condition, and the desirability of the image. You can get good quality reproductions of Van Gogh paintings on the internet. I would do a Google search for Van Gogh, Field of Flowers, art print and see what you come up with. Use the Google images option to locate one that resembles yours. There are many images with the same name.

One way to confirm it is a print is if you have a jewelers loupe or other high magnification. View the painting in an area where the color changes from dark to light. If you see any type of pattern, you have a print. I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.