Fine Art/Ralph Arthur Lytle Paintings

Question
Ralph Arthur Lytle paintings
Ralph Arthur Lytle pai  
These two oil paintings were given to me by a friend when she moved. The artist's signature is in the lower right corner: Ralph Arthur Lytle. Can you tell me where in Southern California I should go to have these paintings appraised? All I know is that Ralph Arthur Lytle was a California artist who did desert landscapes mostly. Can you tell me more about him and what geographical area of the southern California desert he painted?   Thanks!

Answer
Dear Meg,

They are lovely paintings. According to Artists in California 1786-1940, by Edan Milton Hughes:
Ralph Arthur Lytle (1882-1959. Painter. Born in Boulder, CO on Feb. 11, 1882. Lytle settled in Los Angeles in 1914. He worked there as a freelance commercial artist while painting fine art in his leisure. He died in Los Angeles on March 12, 1959. His painting subjects included desert landscapes and scenes of southern California.

He painted in the Mojave Desert. I found a painting of his near 29 Palms. A few of his desert paintings that sold at auctions in the past couple of years were in the range between $150-950. These are considered wholesale pricing and if you were to find one in a retail gallery it should be much higher. If you want to take them for an appraisal, I suggest you ask for informal assessment from a local gallery that carries California art; or an auction house for an estimate of auction value. Bonhamís has sold the artistís work before. They have an office in Los Angeles and it will not cost you anything if you go on one of their free assessment days. Iíll give you information on how to contact them to find out when those days are. A professional fine art appraisal can easily cost as much as the art; or more. They are necessary if you plan to add fine art to your insurance policy. You can find them online through the professional appraiser societies.

I hope this information is helpful.

Bonhams:
Los Angeles
7601 W. Sunset Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90046
+1 323 850 7500
+1 323 850 5843 (fax)
www.bonhams.com

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley