Fine Art/Chagall print

I am trying to identify a print by Chagall....and cannot find the image ....Title on verso is Les Amoureaus Mourlot....signed lower right, ed. 14/50, dated 1983.  It appears to be an earlier state of Cheval Bleu au Couple, M993...I have found several of these sold or for sale, but not this print....can you tell me its cat. raisonne #, and if the title I have is correct?  image size is 14x11, paper 17x22...Thanks for any help you might give.....jean

Dear Jean,

The actual French title is spelled Les Amoureux. You will also find it in searches in English as "Lovers". It was published by Mourlot Paris in 1982 with catalog number (M.994). Bonhams auction house has the size as 14 1/2 x 11in for the image area and 22 1/8 x 18 1/4in for the sheet. Another auction house has it slightly different. Someone who had your litho put the wrong year on the back.

I found a couple that have sold at auctions. I will give you the links for more information on estimated wholesale value. The price would be much higher in a retail gallery. I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.