Fine Art/Durer etching

Question
QUESTION: I have an after Durer engraving of his woodcut, Joachim's Offering Rejected on old paper size 18 1/8x 14 1/4 in. The plate is 11 3/8x 8 1/4 in. and has a full border squared off and there is a platemark. This is not a gravieure. Back is blank. There is a small "1" in plate near bottom border at centre. Is this a Durand? I know what it isn't but don't know what it is! Thanx, Jerry

Durand Stamp
Durand Stamp  
ANSWER: Hi Jerry,

Is there any way that you could perhaps take a picture and send it over? I can take a look at the image and reference the copies noted in the catalogue raisonne to see if we can pinpoint the artist who created this work after Durer.  As of now, assuming that it is an engraving after the original woodcut not in mirror image, the artist would likely be Marcantonio Raimondi according  to the catalogue, but it is difficult to tell without an image.

Armand Durand did create copies of Durer's works as referenced in the example on the below link:

http://www.masterworksfineart.com/inventory/3054?view-work

Does this work by chance have Armand Durand's stamp on it (please see attached image).  This could also be a clue as to the who the artist might be.  

Please feel free to send an image if possible, but if not I hope that this information can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Andrew Evans

QUESTION: You were right on! It is identical to the Raimondi's I looked up that are in museums...Detroit, Harvard and others. So is my copy really that old or are there all sorts of later additions out there, too? It looks like laid paper but I see no watermark. Perhaps a page from a large book? Perhaps you could tell me the possible age. Thanx so much!!!!! You've been a great help. Jerry............and Merry Christmas!

Answer
Hi Jerry,

I am glad to hear that you were able to identify the print to Raimondi.  I cannot find an exact date for this work by Raimondi but can only approximate that he copied the Durer Life of the Virgin series early in the 1500s. The catalogue does not cite later editions, though it is likely that later impressions were made with the same plate.  The catalogue does say that "later impressions are numbered 1."  Perhaps if you see a number 1 noted on your print, you can assume that the impression might be a bit later than the early 1500s.

I hope that this information is of some assistance.  Merry Christmas to you as well, and enjoy your lovely print!

Sincerely,

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans