Fine Art/"Durrie" Oil Painting

Question
"Durrie"
"Durrie"  
Hello. I picked up a painting that is signed "Durrie". It does not look like a George Henry Durrie painting but the signature is similar. Can you shed some light on this for me? The painting was picked up in Maryland. Thank you!

Answer
I concur.  This is not a George Henry Durrie.  Durrie, nicknamed "the Snowman" is of interest because of his romantic scenes of New England farms and landscapes, particularly winter scenes. From Hartford, Connecticut, Durrie was skilled at representing nostaligic, picture-perfect farm and rural scenes that publishers sought. Many horse-drawn sleighs and snow covered boughs.  Hartford was a center for lithographic reproduction, and many of his works made it into widely reproduced circulation.  Currier & Ives loved George H. Durrie.  

This picture does not look anything like the idyllic New England & New Jersey rural scenes executed by Durrie, (and later his son.)  It is hardly unusual for me to pass along advice that signatures by known artists are typically not last name only.  Fine artists almost always, when they do sign an artwork, sign with a full name -- first, middle, last -- or at least all initials or even a fancy monogram.  My supposition is that an enterprising seller of framed pictures added an "artistic" name to your piece.

Doesn't mean you might not enjoy your artwork, and hang it in a spot where you might enjoy it every day!  

Stuart Cartwright