Fine Art/Ferdinand Köster

Question
Koster1
Koster1  
Dear Mr. Lombardo,
  I have a miniature (12 x 9 cm) signed as Ferd. Köster. I bought it about 50 years ago in a Moscow (Russia) antique store.
  Can you tell me anything about the artist? Is it possible to make an attribution of authenticity and appraisal, if it is worth of trouble?
  Thank you for your time and kind attention,
Sincerely,
Mark

Answer
Regarding the painting.
Ferdinand Köster, is an early German 20th century artist and also somewhat obscure.
He painted mainly genre scenes in oil, which belong to a rapidly fading country lifestyle.
He, like a great many other artists - has a very small track record, and does not come up for "orthodox" sales; on any regular basis.
In order to establish the necessary facts, a "hands on" examination of the work is required.
Any "GOOD" and  professional auction house near to yourself, can immediately give the visual and superficial information needed.
The works of this artist, are in my own opinion at the very low end of financial the scale. Therefore, this particular work does not warrant a "full blown"  forensic examination for any financial consideration.
I hope that the information provided, is of some use to you.

Take care.
David.  

D. E. Lombardo