Fine Art/Gustave Wiegand

Hello, my grandmother came across this painting at the church second-hand store that helps the poor that she runs. It is signed Gustave Wiegand in the bottom right hand corner. I have looked at a lot of his paintings trying to find another like it, but I cannot find it anywhere. Could you tell me if this is by him and the title of it? We are trying to figure out if it may be worth anything and if it would be worth taking it to get it appraised (if it is worth anything and we can sell it, the money would be able to do a lot of good). Any information at all that you could give us would be very helpful. Thank you.

Re; The painting.
Hello Amy, and thank you for the inquiry concerning Gustav Wiegand.

This  American artist who lived  from 1870-1957, produced mainly oil paintings.

The average prices for his works all depends  on; size, quality, subject matter and condition- which  are all very important and also vary a great deal.
But generally speaking , his works average around the $1.500  mark.

Unfortunately, the quality of the provided image gives no indication, as to if it is indeed a genuine original, or merely a commercial print.

Therefore, my advice would be for you to take it along to a good  auction house near to where you live - and get a “hands on” examination of the work.
If it is a  print, then the value is only marginal, but if it is really a genuine original, then the auction house can make a very good assessment; as to condition and value, etc.

The yellow pages, should point you in the direction of the auction houses in your location,
I would strongly advise, in taking it along to at least 2 different auction houses for a valuation. Second opinions, are not to be sniffed at!!!

Furthermore; should you take it to auction - I would also advise  on selling it with a fixed bottom end reserve - but  perhaps with a 10% auctioneers discretion.
Selling without a fixed reserve, is definitely not to recommended.
It should also be sold  at a specialist sale with lots of  “Americana” paintings/artifacts - and not in a general sale.

Very good luck at the auction house.
I am sure that it will do quite well and lets cross our fingers that “Lady Fortune,” is also in the auction room on the day of the sale!!!
Take care.

D. E. Lombardo

I am unable to answer enquiries concerning objects, which are NOT related to the areas of Fine Art and Antiques. Nor will I; on the sole basis of any photographic images be willing to give any definitive monetary valuations, or monetary opinions. In such cases I would always advise on getting “real time” valuations and opinions from reputable and qualified auction houses, or third parties. In some applicable cases, I may perhaps give general indications of value, based on the presented materials. True valuations always need a direct “hands on” approach, with perhaps also the necessary research and verifications. Broadly open to almost all questions, regarding the majority of both European, American quality objects, which are related to both Antiques and Fine Art. This also includes modern 20th century designer objects such as furniture etc. My own particular comfort zone areas would be; The decorative Arts, marble, stone, furniture, ivory, bone, amber, ceramics and porcelain, sculpture, glass, silver and metal objects etc. I will also answer inquiries, and give opinions concerning Dutch 17th, 18th and 19th century paintings. Please note that I do have limitations and cannot possibly answer all questions, as the field is very extensive. VERY IMPORTANT and PLEASE NOTE: Please note that; providing > GOOD CLEAR and Preferably High Resolution < photo's of the object(s)in question, is vital. Pics taken with a cell/mobile phone, are of a poor quality and best avoided. Posting signatures only, or just fragments of an artifact - will only provide me with insufficient information and it is often quite misleading. So please; Do post good clear overall images, with your question(s). Failing to do so, may cause rejection, which is also a great pity.

Since the early 90’s I lead a team of very enthusiastic staff at a business, where have the following disciplines; Restoration and refurbishment of historical buildings and gardens, including interior design. The restoration and care of Fine Art and Antiques at our restoration studio We are also Fine Art and Antique dealers, besides being collectors ourselves for a great number of years.

The main professional organization of which I am a member is the BNA, or Association of Dutch Architects, which is equivalent to the US; American Institute of Architects. Affiliated to the Art Loss Register in London and the International Cites Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.

Villa Rufolo; The forgotten paradise on earth. Published by the University of Aarhus, Denmark Book reviews and articles for International Archis Magazine, in the Netherlands.

Since I wished to become a Restoration Architect, firstly I took my BA degree in Art History. Then after graduation, I followed this immediately by studies to graduate and become a Restoration Architect. Ever since then, I have been an established Restoration Architect and Antiquarian. Since a great number of buildings are also inhabited by Fine Art fixtures and furnishings, I also became absorbed by all the artifacts, which go to fill them and not only the edifices themselves. This and much more, was the reason for gaining an advisory post on the City Commission; For The Protection and Care of Historic Monuments of Amsterdam - Amstelveen.

Citations and gratitude; “From the Town of Amalfi” for the groundwork achieved in order bring back the Historical past to the Medieval Villa Rufolo and its vital role in the region. BA in Art Hisory. Graduation Diploma as an Architect & Antiquarian; and also practicing as such. I have also completed a 3 year course in antiques, at the VHOK in Amsterdam VHOK is translated as; ( "The Association of Fine Art Dealers In The Netherlands.")

With a view to the present lawmaking on privacy and reasons of confidentiality, this topic will remain private.