Fine Art/Identifying fine art prints

My wife was recently given a framed print by someone who was cleaning out their garage. My wife is a professional oil paint artist and advised her friend that the print might be valuable. None the less, the lady simply wanted the print removed. The print at the bottom reports to be by Thomas Daniell, issued by him, Dec 1797, made from plate # 19 with William Daniell given credit in the engraving work. Our own research has answered much of the questions about this art, but how do we really know if it is an original hand colored print by Daniell. The print was mounted by a former owner, possibly in the mid 20th century, so we do not have the advantage of seeing the reverse side or even knowing what type of paper it is. My wife believes the paint is authentic, but she also thinks the paper is not Whitman paper, which I think Daniell used for at least some of his prints. Are there any tell tale signs that should be visible on the front of the print? The print is either an original or an exact reproduction, I've compared it to a print currently for sale on the net.

Did they glue the print to a backing? If yes it makes it impossible to see hidden watermarks from the paper manufacturer and does not help the value of the print. Also, is there a border around the image from pressure created by the engraving plate? An original engraving will usually show a pressed border around the image, while a photograph of an engraving that is then printed with a production style press, does not have a border but is flat paper all the way to the edge.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.