Fine Art/J. Knowles Hare

Question
I have signed prints(?) by J. Knowles Hare entitled "Good Morning" and "All Mine". On the back there is the original sticker with an edge missing that says "This is not a mechanical pro(missing) reproduction. It is a hand wipe(missing) hand printed proof. J.Knowles Hare  Published by the Anderson-Lamb Corp.,Engravers 46-48 Fulton St.,Brooklyn, N.Y.
My question is, what is a "hand printed proof". Do I have a print or the original art?
Thanks for any info you can give me.
Mark

Answer
In the old days, a proof was usually a single print or there might be two proofs. When an artists draws an original on paper and then uses that as a guide to hand engrave printing plates, they are creating an original engraving or etching. In some cases the plate is the original as they create the drawing right on the plate. The "artists proof" idea has been abused over the years and now artists deliberatley make a large number of AP's or EA's because some collectors prefer proofs. Once the printing plate is finished and then inks applied, a "one off" print is created and examined to make sure there are no imperfections in the plate. As some prints involve a grease/ink process or chemicals, it is not difficult to ruin a number of sheets of paper before you get it right. Once the artist is satisfied with the way the "proof" looks, he then goes ahead and prints the edition, many times tossing the proof aside and then keeping it for him/her self. Eventually someone would come along and offer to buy the proof, or if it was a popular print and sold out, the dealers and distributors might ask the artist if they have any printers proofs or artists proofs, telling the artist they can ask a higher price as it is the last one available. Of course this led to dealers asking printers to deliberatley print extra artist proofs. I suspect you have an artist proof, the question is, How many were printed? I'm more of a Dali expert, so I'd have to research this to help you further.

Dan

Dan Twyman