Fine Art/oriental dish-2

picture of back of dish.

Re; The dish.

Hello Anna, with regard to your question concerning the object which you inherited, I can  tell you a great deal about it.

However,  for the moment -  I will keep it short and very simple.

1. It is more correctly termed, “a charger” and would have stood upright on a special wooden stand in a special place, in  a room within the household.  
It is  also highly charged with a special significance, which is mostly lost, on  non-Chinese observers.  
The provenance  which you have   provided, is also very interesting indeed and only  adds, to the overall significance of the object itself.

2. It is a beautiful and richly decorated example of Chinese  enameled  porcelain.
The front side depicts the auspicious red, blue and green - heavenly dragons; along with highly symbolic flowers. These botanical elements, consist of the Peony and the Lotus and also tie into the theme of human unions.  

These 5 dragons which are shown, represent part of Chinese cosmology, the blue-green dragon is known as Quin Long. This refers to the use of cosmology and numbers, which is all based around the numerical sign for 5, or wu.
The dragons depicted here, are of the “Imperial “kind and are the most powerful of all the four heavenly dragons.  

In fact  the general iconology of the whole  item,  points toward a very generous  and suitable gift which might be given at a marriage,or betrothal.
The Charger would bestow auspicious power and intentions on the owners of the object, it would also provide a medium, to ward off any unfortunate occurances within the household.   

3. The back stamps, carry the double concentric lines and the typical six character reign marks which translates as follows; made during the Yongzhen reign of the great Quing dynasty; 1723-1735. The typical reign mark is commonly referred to as a “nian hao” script and done in a underglaze blue.

4. The value for insurance purposes  in today’s market, would quite easily run into  the top end of a five figures region. This valuation, being subject to the normal procedures and forensics, combined with more provenance research.
Since the object is of such exceptional quality and high value, might I suggest that all further assistance  be conducted  in a more private manner??
You can readily contact me here at the site, we would be only too happy to provide you with the necessary expertise.

Take very good care of  the Imperial Charger, as it is really a quite extraordinary Chinese object with a very rich and important heritage.
The Christmas weekend is almost upon us, so I extend  my season greetings to you and wish  you all the   very best  in 2012.
Take care.

D. E. Lombardo

I am unable to answer enquiries concerning objects, which are NOT related to the areas of Fine Art and Antiques. Nor will I; on the sole basis of any photographic images be willing to give any definitive monetary valuations, or monetary opinions. In such cases I would always advise on getting “real time” valuations and opinions from reputable and qualified auction houses, or third parties. In some applicable cases, I may perhaps give general indications of value, based on the presented materials. True valuations always need a direct “hands on” approach, with perhaps also the necessary research and verifications. Broadly open to almost all questions, regarding the majority of both European, American quality objects, which are related to both Antiques and Fine Art. This also includes modern 20th century designer objects such as furniture etc. My own particular comfort zone areas would be; The decorative Arts, marble, stone, furniture, ivory, bone, amber, ceramics and porcelain, sculpture, glass, silver and metal objects etc. I will also answer inquiries, and give opinions concerning Dutch 17th, 18th and 19th century paintings. Please note that I do have limitations and cannot possibly answer all questions, as the field is very extensive. VERY IMPORTANT and PLEASE NOTE: Please note that; providing > GOOD CLEAR and Preferably High Resolution < photo's of the object(s)in question, is vital. Pics taken with a cell/mobile phone, are of a poor quality and best avoided. Posting signatures only, or just fragments of an artifact - will only provide me with insufficient information and it is often quite misleading. So please; Do post good clear overall images, with your question(s). Failing to do so, may cause rejection, which is also a great pity.

Since the early 90’s I lead a team of very enthusiastic staff at a business, where have the following disciplines; Restoration and refurbishment of historical buildings and gardens, including interior design. The restoration and care of Fine Art and Antiques at our restoration studio We are also Fine Art and Antique dealers, besides being collectors ourselves for a great number of years.

The main professional organization of which I am a member is the BNA, or Association of Dutch Architects, which is equivalent to the US; American Institute of Architects. Affiliated to the Art Loss Register in London and the International Cites Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.

Villa Rufolo; The forgotten paradise on earth. Published by the University of Aarhus, Denmark Book reviews and articles for International Archis Magazine, in the Netherlands.

Since I wished to become a Restoration Architect, firstly I took my BA degree in Art History. Then after graduation, I followed this immediately by studies to graduate and become a Restoration Architect. Ever since then, I have been an established Restoration Architect and Antiquarian. Since a great number of buildings are also inhabited by Fine Art fixtures and furnishings, I also became absorbed by all the artifacts, which go to fill them and not only the edifices themselves. This and much more, was the reason for gaining an advisory post on the City Commission; For The Protection and Care of Historic Monuments of Amsterdam - Amstelveen.

Citations and gratitude; “From the Town of Amalfi” for the groundwork achieved in order bring back the Historical past to the Medieval Villa Rufolo and its vital role in the region. BA in Art Hisory. Graduation Diploma as an Architect & Antiquarian; and also practicing as such. I have also completed a 3 year course in antiques, at the VHOK in Amsterdam VHOK is translated as; ( "The Association of Fine Art Dealers In The Netherlands.")

With a view to the present lawmaking on privacy and reasons of confidentiality, this topic will remain private.