Fine Art/Selling Charles McGee painting

Question
McGee painting
McGee painting  
I own a Charles McGee painting that has been in my family from the mid to late 60s.  It was purchased by my father, Hobart Taylor Jr., a prominent Detroit attorney.   He subsequently went to Washington D.C. in the Kennedy/Johnson administrations.  The painting was displayed in Washington and Alexandria Va.  In recent years it has moved to Detroit and finally to Chicago.  The painting is in excellent condition unfortunately the frame did not survive all the moves.

I am interested in  selling the painting.  Although I believe this painting to be an important work I don't know how to price it.
The painting is 2 3 X  5 8 oil on board of children dancing.

Answer
Dear Albert,

It is a beautiful example of this significant African American artist's work. Even though the photo is not very clear, it is enough to see its spirit and honesty.

I checked auction records and his most recent painting that came up for auction did not sell. It was a small oil (12 x 16 inches) and had a pre-auction estimate of $5000-7000. I have not found any previous auctions of his paintings that were of the caliber of your piece. It is magnificent; not only with the subject; but also with the size of the work.

The only way to give a realistic estimate is to have comparable listings and examples of similar recent sold work; of which I can find none. I was unable to find any of his paintings for sale in galleries. This is unusual; but may represent the loyalty of the collectors who do not want to part with their paintings. I believe his work will continue to gain admirers.

I consider the artist and this piece in particular to be of museum quality. This is why I suggest you contact the numerous museums in the Chicago area; as well as the major auction houses such as Sothebys and Christies; to see if there is interest by them on acquiring the painting or representing it at auction. Other museums that specialize in American art may also be interested. There is a new museum near me in Bentonville, AR, that may be interested. It is Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art; www.crystalbridges.org. Another major collection is at the Harvey B. Gantt Center; website: http://www.ganttcenter.org/web/.

If you can email me some better quality photos, I will show the piece to people I know and see if there is interest. Email to dolly12@aol.com.

There are some online secondary market galleries that you can place it for sale for a percentage. The other options would be high end art galleries in the Chicago area. I hope this information has been helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley