Fine Art/Wlat Whitman Bust-Artist-Konzal

Walt Whitman-Konzal
Walt Whitman-Konzal  
Dear Mr. Cartwright,

Would you please share some information on a sculpture of Walt Whitman by an artist named Konzal? The bust appears to be made of a dark metal casting (not sure of the technical terms). This appears to be of Walt Whitman in later (but not infirm) years showing the author with a full face, deep set eyes and trimmed beard. The sculpture is mounted on wood with brass plate indicating the name of Whitman. Konzal's name is inscribed on the back of the head in the lower left corner. Any information on the art-historical significance of the artist and this work in particular, the materials used in creating the work, and your thoughts on authenticity and value would be greatly appreciated. Best Regards, Dan

I am not versed in knowledge of sculpture.  However, here are some leads you have already, or will want to, pursue:

Lastly, try contacting Prof. James Nestor at Indiana University of Pennsylvania's fine art department.  Nestor studied with Joseph Konzal.  As you are aware, Konzal is fairly well known among twentieth century American sculptors.  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration