Fine Art/g. castiglione painting

the musical
the musical  
hello d.e. lombardo, i have recently come to posses what i believe is a giuseppe castiglione 1829-1908 original oil painting on panel. it is a large painting measuring approx. 36"x24" i was told by the previous owner who inheirited it. that it is titled the music elle or the musical . which is no doubt the incorrect way to spell it but they were unsure of the exact name. i do plan on getting a hands on appraisal of it in the future. as i would need to get it cleaned first. what i would like to know is.
1- the title of the painting and which possible direction i could go in to find it.
2- any estimates as to what it could go for if it were to go to one of the bigger auction houses.
i fully understand that any painting is only worth what the person who wants it is willing to pay. i also understand that you may not be able to help me with this but if you could point me in a direction any direction. i would greatly appreciate it. thank you in advance, dan

Re; The painting.
There are numerous issues and hurdles to crossed, before any certainty can be made, however;

1. The single supplied image is of a poor quality, to give any really sensible information.
2. The image perhaps might, or might not be attributable to the artist in question, or perhaps it might even be a fake. Working from a single image, everything is but far from being clear, or even guaranteed.
3. The suggested title is probably wrong, based on the iconography and iconology of the work. The depiction primarily is one of an audience, or meeting. The musical aspect, is just a minor part of the  whole subject matter in the background. Though an Italian from Naples, he moved quite early to France and in many respects, did indeed become quite French in many respects. This is to be seen, in his many later works.
4. Only a real hands on approach, will supply you with the answers which you are seeking. Internet, in spite of all the "hype" quick answers and the inevitable "quick fixes" always falls short of the real mark.
5. Time would be better invested in taking the painting along to  a good auction house, such as Christies, Bonhams etc, in order to get some direct answers. A parting word of warning, I would not advise taking it to a small, local auction house. These, generally speaking do not have sufficient expertise in such matters.

Sometimes no answers are best, as they can also lead to real answers instead of dead ends.
I am quite confident that by taking the painting along to a GOOD auction house, they will be able to answer the questions more fully.
I hope that the information is of some use to you, and very good luck with your quest!!!
Please leave some feedback, if you so feel inclined.
Take care.

D. E. Lombardo

I am unable to answer enquiries concerning objects, which are NOT related to the areas of Fine Art and Antiques. Nor will I; on the sole basis of any photographic images be willing to give any definitive monetary valuations, or monetary opinions. In such cases I would always advise on getting “real time” valuations and opinions from reputable and qualified auction houses, or third parties. In some applicable cases, I may perhaps give general indications of value, based on the presented materials. True valuations always need a direct “hands on” approach, with perhaps also the necessary research and verifications. Broadly open to almost all questions, regarding the majority of both European, American quality objects, which are related to both Antiques and Fine Art. This also includes modern 20th century designer objects such as furniture etc. My own particular comfort zone areas would be; The decorative Arts, marble, stone, furniture, ivory, bone, amber, ceramics and porcelain, sculpture, glass, silver and metal objects etc. I will also answer inquiries, and give opinions concerning Dutch 17th, 18th and 19th century paintings. Please note that I do have limitations and cannot possibly answer all questions, as the field is very extensive. VERY IMPORTANT and PLEASE NOTE: Please note that; providing > GOOD CLEAR and Preferably High Resolution < photo's of the object(s)in question, is vital. Pics taken with a cell/mobile phone, are of a poor quality and best avoided. Posting signatures only, or just fragments of an artifact - will only provide me with insufficient information and it is often quite misleading. So please; Do post good clear overall images, with your question(s). Failing to do so, may cause rejection, which is also a great pity.

Since the early 90’s I lead a team of very enthusiastic staff at a business, where have the following disciplines; Restoration and refurbishment of historical buildings and gardens, including interior design. The restoration and care of Fine Art and Antiques at our restoration studio We are also Fine Art and Antique dealers, besides being collectors ourselves for a great number of years.

The main professional organization of which I am a member is the BNA, or Association of Dutch Architects, which is equivalent to the US; American Institute of Architects. Affiliated to the Art Loss Register in London and the International Cites Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.

Villa Rufolo; The forgotten paradise on earth. Published by the University of Aarhus, Denmark Book reviews and articles for International Archis Magazine, in the Netherlands.

Since I wished to become a Restoration Architect, firstly I took my BA degree in Art History. Then after graduation, I followed this immediately by studies to graduate and become a Restoration Architect. Ever since then, I have been an established Restoration Architect and Antiquarian. Since a great number of buildings are also inhabited by Fine Art fixtures and furnishings, I also became absorbed by all the artifacts, which go to fill them and not only the edifices themselves. This and much more, was the reason for gaining an advisory post on the City Commission; For The Protection and Care of Historic Monuments of Amsterdam - Amstelveen.

Citations and gratitude; “From the Town of Amalfi” for the groundwork achieved in order bring back the Historical past to the Medieval Villa Rufolo and its vital role in the region. BA in Art Hisory. Graduation Diploma as an Architect & Antiquarian; and also practicing as such. I have also completed a 3 year course in antiques, at the VHOK in Amsterdam VHOK is translated as; ( "The Association of Fine Art Dealers In The Netherlands.")

With a view to the present lawmaking on privacy and reasons of confidentiality, this topic will remain private.