Fine Art/H.W. Powers Large Skyscape Oil on Canvas

Question
H.W. Powers Skyscape Oil on Canvas 54.5 x 44.5
H.W. Powers Skyscape O  
We bought an old factory building and this painting went with the sale.  I just recently discovered the signature in the right hand corner (it was a few months before I finally saw it!) and found very little about this person on the internet.  Is there anything you can tell me about the artist or the painting?  Is that gold leaf gilding?  

How do you know if a painting is too far gone to restore? I have additional pics on my Web site I can send you a link to that are far more detailed.

Answer
Becky,
H.W. Powers painted in New England, and your picture looks like a view towards the White Mountains?  Many of his landscape/skyscapes depict scenes around Cape Ann.  Alas, his pictures have not been highly prized at auction.  Just this January, someone dumped ten pictures at an auction in Essex, MA.  Hammer prices realized ranged from $150-$350, albeit these were generally mid-sized artworks, and you have a very large picture. I see a vertical scrape at picture left, but it isn't too bad, anything else? Given the price points that Powers commands, it may not be worth investing much in restoration.  You can find my contact info on my website.  cartwrightfineart.com  Congratulations on your building purchase.  Where is it?

Stu  

Stuart Cartwright