Fine Art/H.W. Powers Large Skyscape Oil on Canvas

H.W. Powers Skyscape Oil on Canvas 54.5 x 44.5
H.W. Powers Skyscape O  
We bought an old factory building and this painting went with the sale.  I just recently discovered the signature in the right hand corner (it was a few months before I finally saw it!) and found very little about this person on the internet.  Is there anything you can tell me about the artist or the painting?  Is that gold leaf gilding?  

How do you know if a painting is too far gone to restore? I have additional pics on my Web site I can send you a link to that are far more detailed.

H.W. Powers painted in New England, and your picture looks like a view towards the White Mountains?  Many of his landscape/skyscapes depict scenes around Cape Ann.  Alas, his pictures have not been highly prized at auction.  Just this January, someone dumped ten pictures at an auction in Essex, MA.  Hammer prices realized ranged from $150-$350, albeit these were generally mid-sized artworks, and you have a very large picture. I see a vertical scrape at picture left, but it isn't too bad, anything else? Given the price points that Powers commands, it may not be worth investing much in restoration.  You can find my contact info on my website.  Congratulations on your building purchase.  Where is it?

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration