Fine Art/Norweigan Painting - Should it be appraised/insured?

Norweigan Painting
Norweigan Painting  
My mother is in the process of clearing out and selling her house. One of the items that she gave us is a painting. She never cared for it much, but my father claimed that it may be valuable. It was bought by my grandfather, but I don't know when ( he died in 1965). The painting is of some fishermen and fishing boats on a rocky, sandy shore. It measures roughly 42"x29" in the frame. The signature at the bottom is N Ulfsten 1883. My grandfather was from Norway. Looking online, I am guessing that the painter is Nicolai Martin Ulfsten. I am wondering how to determine it's value to see if it may need to be insured. I am located in Maryland, near Baltimore, but I am having trouble finding a place to get an appraisal ( or see if it's worth it). Any suggestions?

Dear Erik,

Your painting is beautiful and you are correct that the artist is Nicolai Martin Ulfsten. I found some auction results on his paintings and found one of the same size and subject that sold in 2009 for just over $60,000. The interest in his work appears to be regional in Norway as the same auction houses in Norway have handled all of his auctions.

I would contact the auction houses for a current value estimate of your painting as they would be your best resource for selling it if that is what you want to do. If you want to keep it and insure it for loss you will need a formal appraisal recognized by insurance companies. Probably the best way to locate a local appraiser is through their organizations. I will list a links below to appraisal websites and the auction houses that have sold the artist's work in the past. The first one is the auction that sold the similar painting in 2009.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,

Oslo, Norway auction houses. (Unfortunately they are in Norwegian and you will need to use a translation app to read the information):  

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.