Fine Art/renoir

hi, i am trying to find out any info i can about this picture i received from my mother in law. she found it in an antique shop in brookline, ma. i know it is a copy of Renoir's "little Irene". the signature on the painting is in the right top corner and after the signature there is a number i believe to be 80. the dimensions are 17x22 inches. the painting has a very small area that is damaged and when i felt it it was like touching cotton. the painting is in an old frame backed by small nails. please tell me if there is a way to find out if this is a print or a lithograph. and if there is any way to date it. thank you in advance for your time and attention. sincerely yours, Lisa

Dear Lisa,
It sounds as though you have a vintage print after the original painting by Renoir. Since it is a copy of a painting it cannot be considered original art. Many copies of this beautiful image have been created by various publishers throughout the years so unless the publishers name is on the print, I cannot give you a date of printing but, it is probably sometime mid-twentieth century.
The value of the copies vary widely, but condition on a vintage print is a major factor in determining value. The feel of the paper as cotton is probably due to the type of paper it was printed on. You can check eBay and other sites for examples of pricing using key words "vintage print Little Irene by Renoir". I hope this information is helpful.
Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.