Fine Art/value of authentic THE ROAD-WINTER

Question
Dear Ms. Headley,  
         Thank you for your time. My Family has had a large folio of The Road- Winter for over 100 years. Assuming it's an original, what is the dollar value of this item ?

Thanks Again,  
         Vince

Answer
Dear Vince,

I hope you are doing well. Art values change daily and are also affected by the economic situation at the time. To get an idea of estimated current market value you need to find recent sale examples. I was not able to locate a recent auction of the print; but I can tell you that an original in excellent condition would probably retail over $30,000. Auction (wholesale) estimates are in the $15,000-25,000 range.

In determining the value you must also take into account the condition of the print. If yours has some damage, you will need to take that into consideration when comparing it with others for sale or sold.

Many of the C&I lithographs were printed as “re-strikes” from the original plates or copied at a later date. One of the best quality reproductions was issued by Andres Inc., N.Y. in 1942. The Road-Winter was part of this printing. It usually takes an expert looking at the print in person to tell the difference between the original and a good quality reproduction. I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley