Fine Art/George Copeland Ault watercolor

unknown - (still life)
unknown - (still life)  
Mr. Cartwright, I recently purchased an original George Copeland Ault watercolor on eBay from someone in Florida.  I know that I was taking a risk, but it looks very much like a GC Ault painting to me and the signature looks authentic.  Could you please give me your opinion regarding its authenticity.  Also, if it is not authentic, is there a recommended protocol for dealing with it (i.e., destroy it)?

It looks good (over the internet) to me.  Signature looks good.  The surreal composition and the washed out colortones look like Ault. You could consult the Fletcher Gallery in Woodstock NY, where Ault lived and worked.  Please don't every destroy a painting.  If you like it, hang it, enjoy it.  If you buy a real stinker, give it away at the church bazaar, donate it.  Give it as an inexpensive gift.  Add your own touches to it!  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration