Fine Art/Identifying artist... 1840s Europe

Question
Picture
Picture  
A friend has recently been left this painting with dimensions ~ 1.2m x 0.8m. It is dated 1842 and signed but the signature is not very legible... it seems to be G R M?????best  (or bist).
I append three images one with my attempts at clarifying the signature using PHotoshop.
Can you provide any further information?

Answer
Re; The painting.
Very briefly, I can find no track record for the artist in question.
Having examined the picture in some detail, I have come to the following conclusions;
1) It is painted by an amateur, rather than a professional working artist.
2) The understanding of the basics, regarding the use of perspective is absent.
3) The technical accomplishment of the artist regarding anatomy and human proportions, leaves a great deal to be desired.
4) If indeed it was executed in 1842, only a "hands on" examination would provide the necessary evidence.
5) The chair in the painting would appear not to be of a (pure period) European manufacture; as it is far too close to the Federal Style.

Conclusion.
There are numerous unidentifiable paintings in the world today, this is but one of the many.
My best educated guess would be, that is might be a younger family member being painted by an older relative and who had perhaps an interest in painting. This is not at all uncommon, during that particular period.
Very good luck with the painting and any further searches, as to who the artist might be.
A parting thought before leaving; since the execution of the girl is far better than that of the chair, it may in fact have been painted by two different people; working in collaboration. This is by no means unknown in some past cases, which I have examined.
Please leave some feedback, if you feel so inclined.
Take care.
David  

D. E. Lombardo