Fine Art/James Mastin oil on canvas

City lights
City lights  
I recently inherited an oil on canvas signed by James Mastin in the lower left corner, size of canvas is 30x44. Painting is a city skyline at night reflecting into water. Would like info as to where this scene is and if possible a value for insurance purposes. Thank you!

The scene looks to be New York City. My suggestion would be to contact the James Mastin Gallery for an accurate valuation.

James Mastin is a distinguished sculptor who has undertaken a number of important public commissions and whose work is in private collections throughout the US.

Educated at the Art Center of Los Angeles, the LA County Art Institute and the Massachusetts Conservancy of Art and Music, James Mastin’s professional apprenticeship was in set design and construction at Paramount Studios.

Today, perhaps he is best known for his huge, monumental sculpture installed in the Historical Sculpture Garden in Key West, Florida. Immortalizing the town's colorful pioneer days when some of its more unscrupulous citizens frequently lured passing ships onto the hidden jagged reefs offshore, Mastin's monument is entitled The Wreckers. It shows several life-size figures trying to control their rowboat in stormy seas while plundering a wrecked ship's cargo. The magnificently realistic sculpture is surrounded by 36 busts of important civic leaders of the past.

Joseph B. Laskowski

I have been researching,buying, collecting, dealing, and appraising 19th and 20th Century American Art (1850-1950) for the past 15 years. Ask me anything about this topic. I am a member of the Pennsylvania Antiques Appraisers Association.

Experienced in American Art from the period 1850-1950. This Includes Impressionism, Regionalism, Early American Modernism, Hudson River School, WPA. I have 15 years researching, collecting, dealing, and appraising in this field. Ran a Fine Art gallery for 3 years in Phoenixville, Pa. that focused on American and European art from the 1800's to contemporary works. Rare books focused on fine art monographs and catalogue raisonne.

Pennsylvania Antique Appraisers Association
American Society of Appraisers (Candidate)

Brimfield Rush, a book written by Bob Wyss of the University of Connecticut. It details the escapades, trials and travails of myself, my ex, and other individuals who have been to Brimfield , Mass. to tame the largest flea market in North America. Maybe even the world.

American Society of Appraisers
BA from Lenoir-Rhyne University in North Carolina
Appraisal Studies at George Washington University