Fine Art/Marc Chagall serigraph

The Great Window
The Great Window  
I have a serigraph from the National Art Auction Co. in Islip, NY.  It has a certificate of authenticity that reads - D'apres serigraph, plate limited edition signed by Marc Chagall.  1977. The print is titled "THE GREAT WINDOW".  Although it says signed by Chagall, there does not appear to be a separate original signature but rather the signature that appears on the original painting.  '
I was wondering what the value would be for this item.

Dear Larry,

There are all kinds of red flags for me concerning this piece. I am not familiar with National Art Auction Co. and I cannot find any information on it in my research.

Secondly, there are no original Chagall serigraphs. The only original print work that Chagall did was lithography and etchings/engravings. I believe his estate posthumously released some limited edition serigraphs after his original lithographs and paintings with estate stamped signatures. The authorized estate prints have an embossed stamp on the paper. They have more value than the many unauthorized posters and prints of Chagall’s work.

Thirdly, your “COA” states it is “D'apres serigraph”; which means it is after a serigraph and not even the originally released serigraph. COA’s do not make a piece of art original. I don’t really know what you have. Have you looked through a magnifying glass to see if it has dots or patterns? Look on the margins where it is easier to detect. I cannot tell you the value on this piece because I cannot determine what it is. If you see dots or patterns then you can be certain it is an offset lithograph reproduction. I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.