Fine Art/Stormy Day at Velvet Rocks

Stormy Day at Velvet Rocks
Stormy Day at Velvet R  
First of all i would like to thank you sir on behalf of everyone for all the enlightenment you have given. My mystery is an original watercolor on paper. I can't read the artist signature nor the date and so have no clue on who to research.The local museum curator told me the same but said that it was done by a true artist that knew his craft. I purchased the painting 10 years ago in a junk shop. It has some damage but I love it. Any and all information is greatly appreciated. Thank you sir for your time.

Sure.  That is the signature of Edmund Darch Lewis (1835-1910).  Lewis painted alongside Frederick Church and other well-known Hudson River School era artists.  The number alongside the signature looks like 190_ to me, so it is consistent with the days for this artist. Lewis was from Philadelphia and the Delaware Water Gap area between NJ and Penna featured prominently in many of his watercolors and watercolor/gouache landscapes.  He also depicted scenes from the Catskills, Adirondacks, and the New England your picture may.  He is certainly not hard to find on the internet.  I am a little surprised your local curator would not know of this widely known artist.  His pictures will pop up in almost any auction of nineteenth century pictures...he was a prolific artist.

Best of luck with your research.  Enjoy your picture.  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration