Fine Art/Art/R. E. Morrison, 1905

Question
I have a painting of two young, pretty sisters.  The older one has on a bonnet with pretty flowers.  It is signed on the left bottom in printed letters R. E. Morrison, 1905.  It is 17"x22".  Can you tell me the value?  If it is valuable, can you direct me to a buyer?  Thanks!  Sincerely, Brenda Lynn

Answer
Brenda,
Morrison lived from 1852-1925 and was a Brit.  That is where his beautiful portraits sell at auction typically.  A few have turned over at public auction at the bigger London shops for roughly between $1,800 and $2,500.  That is in no way an estimate for you, because it is impossible for me to give you any kind of accuracy without seeing the painting in person.  It sounds like you may have a highly presentable piece of art, a little bigger and bolder than what has appeared at auction.  Signature block description sounds about right, but a gallery owner could help you verify that.

Florida is a big state, but I'd send you to either the Palm Beach/Ft. Lauderdale dealers (like Pocock) or Ft. Meyers (Latragna) to gauge more specific interest.  Send a snapshot electronically or otherwise to several galleries to begin a conversation.  Snapshots of full painting, backside, and closeup of signature...these are usually a good way to start.  Galleries can seem intimidating, until you meet the very nice gallery owner, who will work hard on your behalf.  Good luck.

Best,
Stu  

Stuart Cartwright