Fine Art/Georges Braque lithograph?

G. Braque
G. Braque  
First of all thank you for taking my question. I am in negotiations with a gallery to purchase a Georges Braque lithograph, but I have a few reservations about it. First off, the gallery only provides their own COA even though they admit purchasing this piece from a private seller in France, no other provenance. Second of all the gallery has this piece listed as: Braque, Georges (1882 - 1963) circa 1960, After. Does this mean someone else painted this, or in this case created this lithograph, other than Georges Braque? They are also asking for $15,000 dollars for this piece, is this to much to pay even for a real Georges Braque lithograph? Finally can you tell me anything about this signature? Also would this piece be a good investment proven real, if not could you recommend some?
Thank very much for all your help!
Greg B.

A series of very, very complicate  but interesting questions, but very briefly;

1. Do you trust the gallery and what is their track record?
2. What are the return guarantees, should you happen to later regret the purchase?
3. Unless verified by a (Braque) expert and  by a specialist lab, both signatures and the paper on which they are printed on - mean very little today.
4. Braque, Georges (1882 - 1963) circa 1960, After. That means in the trade today; someone has made a copy (re-make) of the original. In other word is is made (after the original) Braque - and not by Braque himself- hence it is not an original Braque, but neither is the seller offering you an outright fake. The subtlety, is in the wording - "After" - meaning; but not executed by Braque himself.
5. The value of all works of (art), is much like beauty itself and is all in the eye of the beholder; ref, the low value of the asking price.
6. I myself personally, would not wish to cough up $15.000 for a mere reproduction,or a fake - come to that. I would look upon it as a bad investment and quite a definite No-No. Good genuine works of art, are still freely available for $15.000 and also for a far less a sum of money.
7. Since we do not know each other personally, it would be rather unwise/un-ethical for me to offer you advice as to the better alternatives, than spending a mere $ 15.000, on a look alike.
9. The world of "Art" is  a minefield where one must tread with due caution, be it as an "expert" collector, or layman.
I suspect that if I were at Les marche puces in Paris next week, I might also be able to pick up a "Braque" look alike for a mere $ 20-30.00. However, I would probably be more interested in the frame, rather than the print itself.

I rest my case, but may get invited to a duel at dawn, if your "dealer" reads these comments.

Lastly; many years ago one of my teachers commented;
"Remember everybody, it is far better to have a "good" reproduction (a poster?) hanging on the wall, rather than a bad original work".

Mull it over for a while before making any decisions and remember, you can only spend a dollar once.
Take care and tread softly.
Ps; Please leave some feedback if you feel so inclined, also I am very curious as to your next step, so please do let me know!!!  

D. E. Lombardo

I am unable to answer enquiries concerning objects, which are NOT related to the areas of Fine Art and Antiques. Nor will I; on the sole basis of any photographic images be willing to give any definitive monetary valuations, or monetary opinions. In such cases I would always advise on getting “real time” valuations and opinions from reputable and qualified auction houses, or third parties. In some applicable cases, I may perhaps give general indications of value, based on the presented materials. True valuations always need a direct “hands on” approach, with perhaps also the necessary research and verifications. Broadly open to almost all questions, regarding the majority of both European, American quality objects, which are related to both Antiques and Fine Art. This also includes modern 20th century designer objects such as furniture etc. My own particular comfort zone areas would be; The decorative Arts, marble, stone, furniture, ivory, bone, amber, ceramics and porcelain, sculpture, glass, silver and metal objects etc. I will also answer inquiries, and give opinions concerning Dutch 17th, 18th and 19th century paintings. Please note that I do have limitations and cannot possibly answer all questions, as the field is very extensive. VERY IMPORTANT and PLEASE NOTE: Please note that; providing > GOOD CLEAR and Preferably High Resolution < photo's of the object(s)in question, is vital. Pics taken with a cell/mobile phone, are of a poor quality and best avoided. Posting signatures only, or just fragments of an artifact - will only provide me with insufficient information and it is often quite misleading. So please; Do post good clear overall images, with your question(s). Failing to do so, may cause rejection, which is also a great pity.

Since the early 90’s I lead a team of very enthusiastic staff at a business, where have the following disciplines; Restoration and refurbishment of historical buildings and gardens, including interior design. The restoration and care of Fine Art and Antiques at our restoration studio We are also Fine Art and Antique dealers, besides being collectors ourselves for a great number of years.

The main professional organization of which I am a member is the BNA, or Association of Dutch Architects, which is equivalent to the US; American Institute of Architects. Affiliated to the Art Loss Register in London and the International Cites Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.

Villa Rufolo; The forgotten paradise on earth. Published by the University of Aarhus, Denmark Book reviews and articles for International Archis Magazine, in the Netherlands.

Since I wished to become a Restoration Architect, firstly I took my BA degree in Art History. Then after graduation, I followed this immediately by studies to graduate and become a Restoration Architect. Ever since then, I have been an established Restoration Architect and Antiquarian. Since a great number of buildings are also inhabited by Fine Art fixtures and furnishings, I also became absorbed by all the artifacts, which go to fill them and not only the edifices themselves. This and much more, was the reason for gaining an advisory post on the City Commission; For The Protection and Care of Historic Monuments of Amsterdam - Amstelveen.

Citations and gratitude; “From the Town of Amalfi” for the groundwork achieved in order bring back the Historical past to the Medieval Villa Rufolo and its vital role in the region. BA in Art Hisory. Graduation Diploma as an Architect & Antiquarian; and also practicing as such. I have also completed a 3 year course in antiques, at the VHOK in Amsterdam VHOK is translated as; ( "The Association of Fine Art Dealers In The Netherlands.")

With a view to the present lawmaking on privacy and reasons of confidentiality, this topic will remain private.