Fine Art/17th Century Pasinting

I was recently told by an expert who restores paintings in Palm City, Florida that the oil painting I presented her was at least 200 years old, a quality piece of art, one that was restored once before & that has all the great signs of age.

So, I took Pictures & sent them to Christopher Apostle Senior Vice President -  Head of Department -  Old Master Paintingss at Sotheby's. He e-mailed me back with this comment:

"This is 17th Century, and Roman or by a Northern artist working in Rome .  I donít think it is a major hand, but I will think about it".

Another e-mail I sent him stated On the back of this painting was the artist name Cailo Maratte. Written was assomiptiole 22-22 vircy. His reply was:

"It is an attribution to Carlo Maratta, one of the leading paintings in Rome in the late 17th Century.  I donít necessarily see it as by him, however."

Now, I have three questions;

1) What is you opinion?
2) Any idea of value?
3) The best way to sell this painting is?

Well I respect Christopher's opinion. Value as a school of piece would be$1,000-$1,500 maybe more but in this economy it would be difficult.  Depending on where you are located, a mid-major auction house in that area. Freemans would be a good place to start. They are in Philadelphia.

Joseph B. Laskowski

I have been researching,buying, collecting, dealing, and appraising 19th and 20th Century American Art (1850-1950) for the past 15 years. Ask me anything about this topic. I am a member of the Pennsylvania Antiques Appraisers Association.

Experienced in American Art from the period 1850-1950. This Includes Impressionism, Regionalism, Early American Modernism, Hudson River School, WPA. I have 15 years researching, collecting, dealing, and appraising in this field. Ran a Fine Art gallery for 3 years in Phoenixville, Pa. that focused on American and European art from the 1800's to contemporary works. Rare books focused on fine art monographs and catalogue raisonne.

Pennsylvania Antique Appraisers Association
American Society of Appraisers (Candidate)

Brimfield Rush, a book written by Bob Wyss of the University of Connecticut. It details the escapades, trials and travails of myself, my ex, and other individuals who have been to Brimfield , Mass. to tame the largest flea market in North America. Maybe even the world.

American Society of Appraisers
BA from Lenoir-Rhyne University in North Carolina
Appraisal Studies at George Washington University