Fine Art/17th Century Pasinting

Question

I was recently told by an expert who restores paintings in Palm City, Florida that the oil painting I presented her was at least 200 years old, a quality piece of art, one that was restored once before & that has all the great signs of age.

So, I took Pictures & sent them to Christopher Apostle Senior Vice President -  Head of Department -  Old Master Paintingss at Sotheby's. He e-mailed me back with this comment:

"This is 17th Century, and Roman or by a Northern artist working in Rome .  I donít think it is a major hand, but I will think about it".

Another e-mail I sent him stated On the back of this painting was the artist name Cailo Maratte. Written was assomiptiole 22-22 vircy. His reply was:

"It is an attribution to Carlo Maratta, one of the leading paintings in Rome in the late 17th Century.  I donít necessarily see it as by him, however."

Now, I have three questions;

1) What is you opinion?
2) Any idea of value?
3) The best way to sell this painting is?

Thanks

John

Answer
Well I respect Christopher's opinion. Value as a school of piece would be$1,000-$1,500 maybe more but in this economy it would be difficult.  Depending on where you are located, a mid-major auction house in that area. Freemans would be a good place to start. They are in Philadelphia.

Joseph B. Laskowski