Fine Art/17th Century Pasinting

Question

I recently purchased this painting last December at a thrift store & have the reciept.

I was recently told by an expert who restores paintings in Palm City, Florida that the oil painting I presented her was at least 200 years old, a quality piece of art, one that was restored once before & that has all the great signs of age.

So, I took Pictures & sent them to Christopher Apostle Senior Vice President -  Head of Department -  Old Master Paintingss at Sotheby's. He e-mailed me back with this comment:

"This is 17th Century, and Roman or by a Northern artist working in Rome .  I donít think it is a major hand, but I will think about it".

Another e-mail I sent him stated On the back of this painting was the artist name Cailo Maratte. Written was assomiptiole 22-22 vircy. His reply was:

"It is an attribution to Carlo Maratta, one of the leading paintings in Rome in the late 17th Century.  I donít necessarily see it as by him, however."

What is your opinion?

Answer
Dear John,

This is outside my area of expertise as my speciality is Renaissance art. Nevertheless, you look to have gone about investigating your painting in the correct manner. Your expert at Sotheby's will have much experience in attribution and valuation and I would be inclined to concur with his comments. If however you require a 'second opinion' you could always contact Christie's auction house and ask them to look at your painting also.

Best wishes,

Samantha

Samantha Hughes-Johnson