Fine Art/Vernet

Costumes d\'ete
Costumes d'ete  
Hello, I bought a picture in France back in the 80's and am having a bit of trouble trying to find out about it, and was wondering if you could provide any advice. I have attached a copy of the picture. I have found out about Vernet and also lithograph work by Delpech, but can't seem to find any reference to the one that I have. I would be grateful for any advice you can offer. Thank you very much

Dear Norman,

As you have probably researched, Vernet and Delpech were French painters and printmakers during the 19th century. Vernet was well known for his satire of the mannerisms of the elite and observation of French eccentricities. The two did a series of satirical images of dogs dressed in the finery costumes of the day. I have seen some of the lithographs with hand coloring. Prices vary on these based on condition and rarity. You can assume one in good conation to be in the $150-200 range.

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.