Fine Art/Vernet

Question
Costumes d\'ete
Costumes d'ete  
Hello, I bought a picture in France back in the 80's and am having a bit of trouble trying to find out about it, and was wondering if you could provide any advice. I have attached a copy of the picture. I have found out about Vernet and also lithograph work by Delpech, but can't seem to find any reference to the one that I have. I would be grateful for any advice you can offer. Thank you very much

Answer
Dear Norman,

As you have probably researched, Vernet and Delpech were French painters and printmakers during the 19th century. Vernet was well known for his satire of the mannerisms of the elite and observation of French eccentricities. The two did a series of satirical images of dogs dressed in the finery costumes of the day. I have seen some of the lithographs with hand coloring. Prices vary on these based on condition and rarity. You can assume one in good conation to be in the $150-200 range.

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley