Fine Art/Artist Mhire Barrientos

Dear Sir, I have been offered the opportunity to purchase a painting by the artist Mhire Barrientos, or it could be Mhiro, the subject matter is a group of South American people gathered together, one is holding a child which is looking directly out of the picture. The painting is all in shades of orange and brown and is almost cubist in style. My question is, do you know anything about this artist, where he came from, when he was painting and his style. I think I have decided that I am going to buy the picture as I have fallen in love with it. I look forward to hearing from you, Trish Hunt

Dear Trish,

Thanks for your question. There's not much information available on Mhire Barrientos apart from he was born circa 1900 (unverified) in Bolivia, South America. Three of his paintings have passed through auction rooms in the UK, which leads me to suspect he either spent time in this country, or his works were exhibited here. The most recently dated work being 1976:

Which sold at Fieldings for around 100 GBP ($174 USD).

To find out any further information we'd have to contact some archives and institutions in Boliva.

If you love it, you should buy it. I like the look of his work, but don't pay too much. If the work went to auction it'd be estimated at the 70-100 price point, so paying more than double would be too much. If they are asking more, barter the price down, especially now you have some ammunition :)

Best wishes,

Timothy Lawrence Williams MA (Hons)

I can answer all questions on Fine Art, particularly the indentification of pictures (paintings, prints etc). My specialist areas are old master prints, printmaking, early Flemish painting, Dutch golden age painting, fin-de-siecle, Impressionism, Victorian, all British painting.

I've worked for the National Gallery, London and Brighton Museum & Art Gallery in research and curatorial capacities. I'm currently a director of Pieta Fine Art Ltd.

The Guardian

PhD Early Flemish painting (incomplete), MA History of Art, BA History of Art (Hons)

Neil MacGregor Scholarship